Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Ughhhh....

So, last Tuesday I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. The clinic gave me a meter and set up appointments with a diabetes educator and the dietician. I net with the diabetes educator yesterday and based on my numbers over the weekend, she started me on insulin.

I had to take my first shot yesterday. Aut 3:16 has type 1 diabetes so I told him I was scared and asked him if it hurt. He was so grown up about it and told me that if I stuck it in straight it wouldn't hurt. I wanted to know if it hurt worse than picking your finger. My crazy son said that popping a pimple hurts worse! He is sooo funny. Turns out he was right, it didn't hurt, but I am used to giving him shots and not myself. I stuck it in and wasn't holding the plunger. Well, hopefully, next time I will get it right. Seems I will have lots of practice. I meet with the diabetes educator next monday, and she seems to think that I will need insulin with my meals as well as overnight. YUCK!!!

Today I meet with the dietician, hopefully this will be painless...

7 comments:

CelticMommy said...

Sending you lots of hugs! I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.
How's your sewing coming along? Did you make all the diapers in all the sizes you wanted to?

Hermione Bagnold said...

Yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck! I hope that this is something that doesn't stick around after you have the baby! Hang in there!

Kelly @ Wisdom Begun said...

Ugh, I am so sorry you are having to deal with gestational diabetes. Hang in there!

Annette Piper said...

Oooh dear - but at least you know now and will start to feel better soon.

I am Harriet said...

Hang in there.

Have a great weekend.

JulieChats said...

Good luck! I had GD with my first but not my 2nd. I'm such a chicken, I only had to test my blood (never had to take insulin). I had to have people at work stick me for the tests! At least it won't last long...I credited the GD with only gaining 12 pounds with my daugther, so that was a plus! :)

Kelly @ Wisdom Begun said...

How are you feeling? Any better?